[Python-Dev] Questions about '@' in pep 318

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 6 01:24:59 CEST 2004

> In essence, you are proposing to reserve a new keyword. Solutions
> creating new keywords have been ruled out because they might break
> existing code.

Perhaps this could be addressed by requiring "from __future__ import
decorators", for one release, just like was done for "yield".  I
expect that this would be acceptable to the ObjC folks, too.  It
wouldn't be my favorite, but I won't rule it out just because of the
new keyword (and yes, this is a softening of my position on new
keywords).