[Python-Dev] PEP 318, and the PEP process

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Fri Aug 6 03:59:30 CEST 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> Having said that, I don't think the lack of completed
> PEP is a reason to back out the @ syntax from CVS. If
> nothing else, it being present in a released alpha is
> giving us very real experience with the use of the
> feature.

If I may, I'd like to chime in with an "I agree". My understanding is
that the decorator change was checked in for the very reason you state -
so that people can actually try it out instead of just talking about it.
If that is the case, then having the PEP up to date before an alpha
release would certainly be nice but doesn't seem to be a hard requirement.

(FWIW, it seems that a lot of the uproar about the syntax change is that
it is being interpreted as a permanent change to the language rather
than just experimental functionality. I _think_ I read here on
python-dev that it was semi-experimental, but if that's the case I'm not
sure how well that message got out - e.g. the "What's New in Python
2.4a2" section of NEWS.html doesn't reflect this)