[Python-Dev] Merging Python and Gtk...

Paul Sheer psheer at icon.co.za
Fri Aug 6 19:39:16 CEST 2004

Now that Gtk is supported on Windows, X, and framebuffers,
would it not be worthwhile to consider packaging Python and
Gtk together?

Python+Gtk is a killer combination, and I see the only
argument against Python's mainstream adoption to be its lack
of a standardized widget library as portable and eligant as
Python itself.

If Python and Gtk installed as one package, this requirement
would be met. At the moment, getting Python to work with
Gtk on an arbitrary Unix system requires compiling no less
than 14 tar balls from source. There are also huge overlaps in
functionality, like Python and Gtk image support (jpeg etc.)

comments?

-paul

Paul Sheer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Tel  . . +27 (0)21 6869634
Email . . . http://2038bug.com/email.gif . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer . . . . . . . . .  http://rute.2038bug.com
L I N U X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Choice of a GNU Generation