[Python-Dev] Re: Decorators: vertical bar syntax

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Sun Aug 8 09:22:43 CEST 2004

In article <004501c47cdb$355743d0$6602a8c0 at arkdesktop>,
 "Andrew Koenig" <ark-mlist at att.net> wrote:

> I like the following variation even better:
>
> 	def foo() |
> 		classmethod |
> 		accepts(int, int) |
> 		returns(float):
>
> Alternatively,
>
> 	def foo() | classmethod | accepts(int, int) | returns(float):
>
> Yes, I understand that the first of these would require allowing a newline
> after the | without ending the statement.  If it were up to me, I would
> allow a newline to follow any operator, but if that's too radical, then
> allowing newlines between the def and the following : would be fine.

Did you omit the full wink?  Or did you forget that | is already a binop?
Strictly speaking I guess it's unambiguous if one doesn't allow
arbitrary expressions as decorators, but...

--
David Eppstein
Computer Science Dept., Univ. of California, Irvine