[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Aug 8 18:48:56 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Christian Tismer wrote:
>
>> Ok, I dislike special prefix chars at all, in a language that
>> doesn't have this concept elsewhere (despite strings of course,
>> but their prefixes are just regular chars),
>

> Lists, tuples, and dictionaries are also introduced with non-letter
> characters. Furthermore, nested expressions use the same prefix
> char that lists use. # introduces comments.

I agree on the "#".
Not so for lists, tuples and dicts. These are constructs in
their own right, containing something, which is again made
of normal Python objects.

But what we here have is an escape symbol, which expresses that
the token following it is special and has special semantics,
and the reach of this special symbol then even extends over its
own line, but modifies how the next def statement is understood.
This is remarkably different from being usual.

I should not have talked about prefix chars, but escape sequences,
which fits much better.

As somebody already mentioned (Jim Fulton I think) this feels
like mixing two different languages into each other.

all the best -- chris