[Python-Dev] Re: Decimal type question [Prothon]

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Mon Aug 9 07:13:20 CEST 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:51:38 -0400, Aahz wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004, Mark Hahn wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone see any problem with this scheme?
>
> Yes: it doesn't follow the decimal floating point standard.
> Read PEP327 for an exhaustive discussion of the subject WRT
> Python (which is nowhere near as exhausting as reading the
> discussion in the python-dev archives).

I don't care too much about it being a standard but I do care about it
sucking.  Tim Peters filled me in on what's wrong with the MS type.

I am more interested now in hearing about people's feelings on the idea of
having the Decimal type "in-between" Int and Float.  Assume a decent
Decimal implementation is used.

> Side note: I haven't bothered checking recently, but since
> you were complaining about the quality of technical responses
> on c.l.py, I've been mostly ignoring you because of your
> habit of top-posting.

FWIW, I learned how to post in the c.l.p style back in early April which
which was four months ago.  I'm sorry about my earlier postings.  It was
hard to overcome an emailing style I had used in the business world for 25
years.