[Python-Dev] Third Bug Day outcome

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Aug 9 23:38:20 CEST 2004

The bug day on Saturday went well, as usual.  19 bugs and 12 patches
were closed.  That's not as good as the first bug day (30 bugs), but
is competitive with the second (18 bugs, 21 patches).  Lots of the
easy bugs have been cleaned out, I expect, so each remaining bug takes
more time to fix.

The composition of the turnout was the surprising thing. My plaintive
bleating on python-dev resulted in much higher participation by people
with CVS committers, but there weren't many non-committer people
around (Seo Sanghyeon and Mike Coleman were the two non-developers I
noticed).  This is a pity, because bug days seem like a good way to
gently introduce more people to hacking on the source.

During the day, Armin Rigo wrote a nifty IRC bot that takes an SF
bug/patch ID and returns the title; taking an example from the transcript:

20:53:56 <jlgijsbers> Looking at #777659.
20:53:57 <sf_number> * sf_number bug 777659 - Uninitialized variable used in Tools/faqwiz/faqwiz.py

I won't be running a bug day in September; if someone else wants to
arrange it, please feel free.  Otherwise, they'll resume in October.

--amk