[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Decorators: vertical bar syntax

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 23:50:00 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> I realize what your current position on this topic is, but I'd like
>> to encourage you to at least reconsider it for a moment.
>
> Please remember the procedure.  The community is to come up with *one*
> alternative that they universally prefer over @decorators; otherwise,
> @decorators-before-def will stay.  (I'll even give you *two* if the
> community can agree that both are acceptable and really wishes to let
> me pick one.)

I was simply trying to outline, in a hopefully clear and useful form, an
argument specifically pointing in a direction you'd personally called 'closed'
from your side.

I fully realize your bandwith is limited, and probably already well saturated
by this debate.

I also have the strong suspicion, given how difficult it is proving to reach
significant consensus on almost anything on this, that it will probably come
down to you making a final 'hard' decision.  That's ok, and we can all live
with it (and most of us trust your judgement because you've shown its
qualities before).  But if it comes to that, at least I figured it was worth
arguing better this particular point, which I felt had been discussed from
other angles but not this one.

I feel like I've said as much as is reasonable on this topic, so I'll probably
shut up and wait for something to happen.  I'll then see if IPython needs
fixing to live in a post-decorators world or not, and work accordingly.

Best,