[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Decimal type question [Prothon]

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 04:20:18 CEST 2004

[Mark Hahn]
> I'm already planning on using Jim's IronPython implementation of your
> BigInts so I might as well port your Decimal code over for the Prothon
> Decimal also.  The only thing I've ever stolen from Python for Prothon was
> your bigint code so I might as well be consistent in my thievery. :-)

It may not be an easy port, as it freely uses lots of Python features,
including Jim Fulton's new-in-2.4 thread-local storage API (just like
the status and control registers in your HW FPU carry thread-local
state, the IBM spec has thread-local status and control data too).

A saving grace is that IBM's Mike Colishaw worked up thousands of
exacting test cases distributed in a plain text file format, and so a
broken implementation is remarkably easy to detect.