[Python-Dev] Asyncore .set_reuse_addr() on Windows

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Aug 10 15:26:13 CEST 2004

Do any systems *but* win32 have SO_EXLUSIVEADDRUSE ?  (and if they do,
is it better than SO_REUSEADDR for the same reasons it is on win32?)

.. so why not write
    if hasattr(socket, 'SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE'):
        reuse_constant = socket.SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE
    else:
        reuse_constant = socket.SO_REUSEADDR

SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE sounds like the exact opposite of SO_REUSEADDR,
according to a page I found when trying to find out whether any other
platform has SO_EXCLUSEIVEADDRUSE:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/using_so_exclusiveaddruse.asp
.. SO_REUSEADDR's semantics on Windows are apparently different from
Unix, but SO_EXCLUSEIVEADDRUSE is different still.

I'm no win32-platform programmer, just trying to make sense of what I
read on the web.

Jeff