[Python-Dev] Unifying Long Integers and Integers: baseint

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Aug 10 15:35:14 CEST 2004

    >> I think it would be worth considering all the numeric types at once
    >> and come up with a reasonable hierarchy that includes float, complex
    >> and decimal types as well.  (It's clear there is no "best" way to do
    >> that.)

    Dmitry> Something like following?

    Dmitry> object
    Dmitry>      numeric
    Dmitry>          integer
    Dmitry>              int
    Dmitry>              long
    Dmitry>          float
    Dmitry>          complex

At some level it seems that float is a specialization of complex (w/ imag
field == 0).  Also, it's not clear that float or complex don't have
something other than a sibling relationship to integers.

I don't have the time to dig up the previous discussions.  Three days out of
town left me we nearly a thousand Python-related mail messages.  I have no
idea how (if at all) I'll be able to boil any of that down into reasonable
edits to PEP 318.

Skip