[Python-Dev] Update PEP 292

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Aug 11 13:22:25 CEST 2004

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> Raymond and I had a chance to talk about PEP 292 on bug day, and we've
> exchanged a few private emails and implementations.  I think we've
> finally knocked everything into shape for inclusion in Python 2.4's next
> alpha.
>
> In the sandbox you will find the updated implementation, along with
> updated tests and documentation (libstring.tex).
>
> The updated PEP is at:
>
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0292.html

It's a silly point, but my instant impression on reading

    This PEP describes a simpler string substitution feature, also
    known as string interpolation.

is "simpler than *what*?".  Perhaps a better title for the PEP would
just be "simple string interpolation".

Otherwise, I like it.

The only issue I have with putting it in string is that this makes it
a touch harder to bundle up for use with scripts that work with older
Python's (I take it the implementation is pure Python and works or can
be fairly easily be made to work with 2.2?).  But I can live with

try:
    from string import template
except ImportError:
    from string_compat import template

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Exam invigilation - it doesn't come much harder than that, esp if
  the book you're reading turns out to be worse than expected.