[Python-Dev] adding a bytes sequence type to Python

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Aug 12 19:40:03 CEST 2004

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> My intent in proposing b"..." literals was that they would be allowed in any
> source file.  Their contents would not be interpreted in any way.

I think this is a bad idea.  If a coding cookie says a file is in
utf-8, then the file really has to be valid utf-8 data, for
implementation sanity and not freaking out editors.  The use-case for
including arbitrary chunks of binary data in a source file seems
stretched in the extreme.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  My hat is lined with tinfoil for protection in the unlikely event
  that the droid gets his PowerPoint presentation working.