[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Aug 13 11:11:18 CEST 2004

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     >> That's why I think a special literal is necessary.  There'd be no
>     >> unicode foolishness involved. ;-) They'd just be raw uninterpreted
>     >> bytes.
>
>     Martin> But you'd spell them b"GET", no? If so, which numeric value has
>     Martin> "G"?
>
> Good point...

I don't think I understand the example...

What's binary about 'GET' ?

Why would you want to put non-ASCII into a binary literal
definition ?

If we switch the binding of 'yyy' to mean unicode('yyy')
some day, why can't we just continue to use the existing implementation
for 8-bit strings for b'xxx' (the current implementation is already
doing the right thing, meaning that it is 8-bit safe regardeless
of the source code encoding) ?

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 13 2004)