[Python-Dev] Question about win32com in MS-Excel

Jiang Yu jiangyu at adtec.com.cn
Fri Aug 13 12:16:05 CEST 2004

Hello, My name is Jiangyu, a Chinese man. You can call me Joe.
I learn Python for only one year.  I think it's a simple tools in my job some time.
But in my country, Python is a new tools for many people. So If i have some
problems on it, I found it's difficult to look for the answers。So I add the this mail list.

Now, I have a question about use win32com moudle for MS-Excel.
Question: I want to insert a file into a Excel sheet.  But a exception occured in my code.
                 Using VBA, I insert a file OK. And the processing in Python is equivalent in VBA.

My environment: Python2.2.3 + win32com + Win2000 Server + Excel(Office XP)

My Python code:
>>> from win32com.client import Dispatch
>>> excel = Dispatch("Excel.Application")
>>> excel.Visible = 1
>>> excel.WorkBooks.Add()
>>> cursheet = excel.ActiveWorkBook.ActiveSheet
>>> oleobjs = cursheet.OLEObjects()
>>> oleobjs.Add(Filename = r"c:\temp.txt")

My VBA code:
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add Filename:="c:\temp.txt", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False

So, If you know how to do it. please answer me. Thanks!

joe
2004/8/13