[Python-Dev] Threading in the Standard Library Tour Part II

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Aug 16 17:31:11 CEST 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Maybe I don't understand what you're saying.. but I don't know any
> platform that forces you to work with files from one and only one
> specific thread.  But I definitely do know at least one platform where
> you may only perform most GUI operations from the main thread of execution.

There's a number of GUIs in this boat. It's not too much hassle - you
just have to make sure you handle events to and from the GUI correctly
through some sort of intermediary that posts the events to the correct
thread. An example of this is wx and twisted - the only sane path is
to run each in it's own thread. wx also won't work unless the "main"
thread is the one running the GUI.

all-guis-suck,
Anthony