[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Tue Aug 17 08:54:35 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> (I'm still not sold on the
> concept of bytes literals at all.)

Ok. Here's a case - in shtoom, I generate audio data. Lots
of audio data. This is broken into packets, then gets a small
header put onto each RTP packet. Right now, I'm using strings
for this. If there was a 'byte literal', I'd use it. This isn't
a huge problem right now, because strings are good enough. But
if we end up in an 'all the strings are unicode', I'll need
_some_ way to construct these packets.