[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Tue Aug 17 16:49:54 CEST 2004

> ISTR Guido thought mutable was the way to go.  I don't think that efficiency
> concerns will be a huge deal since it won't be used all over the place the
> way strings are.  Will they need to be used as dict keys?  Doesn't seem
> likely to me.

Mutable is far far more useful. I can't see them being used commonly
for dict keys, but I do know of a lot of protocols where you have
to go back and patch a 'length' field in a packet header after you've
finished the packet construction.

Maybe we could use the @ symbol for the byte literal? <wink>

Anthony