[Python-Dev] multiple instances of python on XP

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 00:39:22 CEST 2004

[Paul Gimpelj]
> I was wondering how to have multiple instances of python running on
> XP.

Multiple instances of Python are routinely used on all flavors of
Windows without problems (at the moment, I have 4 on my XP box, and
often run 3 simultaneously).

> I have ZOPE and TSW installed, but ZOPE's python is grabbing paths
> from TSW's python.

Then you need to ask on Zope and TSW (unsure what that is) lists about
why those applications are fighting with each other.  Asking here is
like asking on a bash developer's list because you run two apps from
the shell that insist on having different PATHs.  There's nothing bash
can do about that -- and the question is better addressed to a bash
user's list even if you think there should be.

> specifically I
>
>  changed to dir "...\Zope-2.7.2-0\bin"
> and in cmd window  ran python
>
> did help() , sys
> and executable= r'...\Zope-2.7.2-0\bin\python.exe'
> but exec_prefix = r'...\TSW\Apache2\python'
> path_importer_cache = ....\TSW|Apache2\python...

Well, Python isn't forcing the use of TSW, and Zope certainly isn't,
so if I were you I'd ask the TSW developers what they're up to.  I
have no idea how they manage to change Zope's Python's idea of what
exec_prefix should be.  Zope sets no environment variables or registry
entries related to Python, and Zope runs happily without interfering
with a user-installed Python, so TSW is your hangup.