[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Update PEP 292

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Aug 18 06:23:00 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 10:54, Fernando Perez wrote:

> I guess my post wasn't worded too clearly.  I did mean existing, in the sense
> that the error above occurs with current python (it's cut-and-paste from python
> 2.2).  My point was precisely to illustrate this failure with a simple example,
> to then ask whether the new scheme could be made, _as shipped_, to accept this
> kind of expansion:
>
> print template('sys.platform is: $sys.platform') % locals()

Not as shipped.  You'd have you derive from the Template class and write
a regular expression (or adapt the existing pattern).

> It may be trivial to extend pep-292 for this, but not having to do it in every
> small utility you write/ship would be very useful, IMHO.  If there are no
> technical reasons to prevent it, is the 'too complex' argument really that
> strong (especially since you state it's a trivial amount of code)?

Well, it's about 3 lines of Python, but what would you call the class,
AttributeTemplate?  I wouldn't be opposed to adding the class, since I
think it would be pretty useful.

-Barry