[Python-Dev] Python 3.0 list of goals

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 18 19:07:09 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>>

>>>The thread about bytes() is about a Python 3.0 feature.  Guido's
>>>presentations have mentioned various changes he'd like to make in 3.0,
>>>but there's no master list of things that would change.
>>>
>>>I think it would be useful to have such a list, because it would focus
>>>our language development effort on ones that are steps to 3.0, and
>>>maybe people can invent ways to smooth the transition.  I've started a
>>>list in the Wiki at http://www.python.org/moin/Python3.0 , but should
>>>it be a PEP?  (PEP 3000, perhaps?)
>

> Good idea to start collecting all this.  I'm currently too busy to
> spend a lot of time thinking about all this, but eventually I will be
> back and then it would be nice to find a list of things I said in the
> past. :-)

=)  Prepping your time machine for ya.

>>I say a PEP.  While it can say that these features are just
>>possibilities, I would rather have a controlled place to list this stuff
>>so it is a little more official than having someone randomly come in and
>>start throwing in everything they wished Python 3.0 will have.
>

> Right, but the Wiki is a good start while you consider a PEP.

OK.  I will start plugging in what I have on my personal collection of
what you have said into the wiki after the next summary goes out (400
emails to go).

>>When it is decided where all of this info will end up I will go through
>>the python-dev Summaries and see if I can find anything there (tried to
>>make it a habit to doc stuff that Guido said would be a Python 3.0 feature.
>>
>>There is also another wiki page on Python 3.0 at
>>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonThreeDotOh .
>

> Hrm.  That is mostly Mike McLay's wish list; best to ignore it.

OK.  I will just go off what I have mentioned in the Summaries and what
I can recollect from my own memory.

-Brett