[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 18 19:31:28 CEST 2004

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> If you write your string literal using just ASCII characters and
> escapes, I don't see much of a problem with different source code
> encodings.

That is correct. I personally have no problem if byte fields and
unicode strings are connected through some encoding; I personally
think making it fixed at Latin-1 might be best.

I was merely responding to Skip's question why an encoding comes
into play at all, as byte fields inherently have no encoding, and
might not even represent character data. I was responding that
this is mostly true, except for source code.

Regards,
Martin