[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Can't we all just get along?

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Thu Aug 19 09:21:23 CEST 2004

Guido:
> Is anybody seriously trying to come up with a single alternative
> decorator proposal that most folks "out there" can support, to be
> presented to me (with implementation, please!) in time for 2.4b1?

Greg:
> From the posts I've seen here, the only alternatives that have
> considerable popular support are ones that you've already
> rejected. So I suspect nobody really feels it's worth trying.

Andrew (replying on c.l.p. for some odd reason):
> To expand on that just a bit: the two alternatives that were most
> generally favoured (in Doug Holton's estimate) were the
> "list-after-def" (C1 in the wiki), and the "pie decorator at top of
> function body" (E1 in the wiki), both of which Guido rejected.
> In the poll that Doug ran, E1 had a slight margin over C1:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-August/233479.html
>
> However, C1 has an implementation, while E1 doesn't. (Aside: how
> difficult would it be to create an implementation of E1?)

Seems to me it's put up or shut up time, where "put up" means
"implement". Of those proposals which have an implementation:

A1: Currently in 2.4a.
B:  Guido prefers A1 over B. I haven't seen anyone advocating B,
actually.
C1: Guido rejected.
J2: Guido rejected because of new keyword, but then "softened" his
position.

So if you can immediately reject J2, Guido, I'd say there are no
candidates for an alternate. Otherwise, I'd be happy to drum up more
support for J2 and get a complete proposal to you (something more than a
pro/con list).

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries