[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Aug 19 11:15:17 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>Hmm, who ever said that we are going to drop the current 8-bit
>>string implementation ?
>

> I expect that in Python 3.0 aka Python 3000 we'll have only Unicode
> strings and byte arrays, so yes, the current 8-bit string
> implementation will eventually die.  Jython and IronPython are ahead
> of us in this respect...

Ok, so I suppose that we can learn from Jython and IronPython in
this respect...

How do they handle binary data and the interfacing between various
I/O facilities, e.g. files, sockets, pipes, user input, etc.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 19 2004)