[Python-Dev] Decoding incomplete unicode

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Aug 19 11:41:51 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> We do need to extend the API between the stream codec
>> and the encode/decode functions, no doubt about that.
>> However, this is an extension that is well hidden from
>> the user of the codec and won't break code.
>

> So you agree to the part of Walter's change that introduces
> new C functions (PyUnicode_DecodeUTF7Stateful etc)?

We'll have to see... all this is still very much brainstorming.

> I think most of the patch can be discarded: there is no
> need for .encode and .decode to take an additional argument.
> It is only necessary that the StreamReader and StreamWriter
> are stateful, and that only for a selected subset of codecs.
>
> Marc-Andre, if the original patch (diff.txt) was applied:
> What *specific* change in that patch would break code?
> What *specific* code (C or Python) would break under that
> change?
>
> I believe the original patch can be applied as-is, and
> does not cause any breakage. It also introduces a change
> between the codec and the encode/decode functions that is
> well hidden from the user of the codec.

Let's flesh this out some more and get a better understanding
of what is needed and how the separation between the stream queue,
the stream codec and the underlying codec implementation can
be put to good use.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 19 2004)