[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 318: Can't we all just get along?

Paul Morrow pm_mon at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 23:06:23 CEST 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2004, at 3:30 PM, Paul Morrow wrote:
>
>> James Y Knight wrote:

>>> You can do that today. See also
>>> http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/48/conveniencytypes.py
>>

>> Aha!  Thanks!
>

> Whatever happened to explicit is better than implicit?  ;)

I've often wondered about that principle.  For example, wouldn't static
typing (actual declarations, as in Java) be more explicit than dynamic
typing?

Either way, it seems that if dynamic method typing
(static|class|instance) was enabled for a class, then

     def m2(cls, a, b): pass

would be every bit as explicit (a means of specifying that m2 is a class
method) as

     x = []

(is of specifying that x is (well, contains) a list).