[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 318: Suggest we drop it

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 19 23:49:25 CEST 2004

"Roman Suzi" <rnd at onego.ru> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.58.0408190817070.16021 at rnd.onego.ru...
> and their support for "write once" concept, while in old syntax one need
> to write a function name 4 times to merely get it decorated and with
__doc__
> string.

I believed this once also, but then realized that one only need write a
long function name once (other than in the doc string)  -- in the final
assignment.  Perhaps something like

d = '''actual_long_name(ague) == return syncroed flooblejack
  ague == seq of doobies
'''
def f(ague):
    pass
f.__doc__ = d
f.atto = 'yes'
actual_long_name = syncro(staticmethod(deco(f)))

Even without a doc string or comment at the top, finding the actual name at
the bottem of a block might be as easy as finding it in the middle of a
block with several @ lines.

So I no longer count this as so strong an argument against the postfix form
as I one did.

Terry J. Reedy