[Python-Dev] problem with pymalloc on the BeOS port.

François Revol revol at free.fr
Tue Aug 24 14:37:47 CEST 2004

> Tim Peters wrote:
>
> >>Any clue ?
> >

> > Try gcc without -O.  Nobody has reported anything like this before
> > --
> > you're in for a lot of fun <wink>.
>
> In addition, try to find out whether BeOS' malloc is somehow
> "strange".

It's plain GNU malloc (with some locking for multithreading I think)
libroot is actually a glibc +libm with some goodies.
Though the glibc is getting quite old.

> Does the system have the notion of a linear address space? Does it do
> pages? and so on. If you find a feature that you wouldn't expect in
> Windows NT, Linux, or HP-UX (*), that might give a clue.
Sure, BeOS is a modern OS, mind you :D And it has a fairly complete
(complete enough) POSIX subsystem.
The only thing that I miss sometimes is mmap() but most of the time it
can be worked around easily with areas.

François.