[Python-Dev] Python icons

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Tue Aug 24 16:57:22 CEST 2004

Kevin Gadd writes:
> I'm not really worried about licensing... basically, I'd probably just want
> to keep my copyright on the actual vector art. I'm not terribly concerned
> about anything else, since they are based on the original python icons. I
> don't know much about how licensing artwork for open source projects works,
> so if you or someone else can let me know what steps would be necessary to
> make it possible for these icons to be used, I'd be glad to help.

While I can't speak authoritatively, I have an idea of what folks would
want. My guess is that the PSF (Python Software Foundation) would want
the right to use the icons any way they deem necessary for promoting
Python. I'm sure they wouldn't mind your keeping the copyright, just so
long as the PSF can authorize people to use them (eg: in the installer).
A simple note to the PSF stating that you own the copyright and that
you're willing to allow the use MIGHT be sufficient, unfortunately it
would take a real lawyer to say for sure what's sufficient. In the past
other Icons have come with a request by the artist that they be
credited... and I'm sure no one would begrudge you a mention in Python's
credits (see [1]).

And let me add my own thanks! It's nice to have good artwork -- I'm sure
there are a few other places you could help also.

-- Michael Chermside
   (speaking only for myself, of course)

[1]
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/dist/src/Misc/ACKS?view=markup