[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 292 - Simpler String Substitutions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Aug 24 19:14:07 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 09:20, François Pinard wrote:

> These two quotes let me think that people will often forget to stringify
> numbers and various other value types, or to escape a few isolated `$'.

I'm convinced that we should auto-convert the values.

> I have the fuzzy feeling that one unstated, but important goal of the
> PEP is to find some way to push `$' forward for stringification in
> Python.  The whole PEP might even be a stunt or justification for this
> unstated goal.  However, as this goal is well reached, it might somehow
> have contributed to the PEP acceptation and counterweight the deficiency
> stated in the preceding paragraph.  If my feeling is right, then the PEP
> should clearly explicit this goal, it will make the PEP stronger.

I will neither confirm nor deny whether the PSU is bankrolling the PEP
292 initiative, nor the actual existence of any 527 organization
claiming to be called the "PSU", nor whether if they did exist, they
were or weren't acting in coordination with the campaign organizations
of any 2004 US presidential nominee.

> I witnessed a serious effort in this developers' group to "empty" the
> `string' module in favour of string methods.  That effort has been
> abandoned?  I also personally think the word `string' should be left
> free, in the long run, for Python programmers to use, on the ground that
> modules should not be named after common words programmers would like to
> keep to themselves as variable names.  So, I think _nothing_ should be
> added to the `string' module, with the effect of nailing it deeper in
> the library, even if there is a need to rush some solution in.

My own personal opinion is that function that were traditionally
available in the string module, but which have been available as string
methods for a long time now, should be deprecated and eventually
removed.  But the ground for a string module is staked out, and to the
extent that useful things like Template need a home, I'd rather see them
end up in the existing string module (which everyone already deals with)
than to contrive some name like 'stringtools' or 'stringlib'.

-Barry