[Python-Dev] FW: [Python-checkins] python/nondist/peps pep-0318.txt, 1.25, 1.26

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Aug 25 00:54:49 CEST 2004

At 06:24 PM 8/24/04 -0400, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>Like metaclasses, everyone knew they were powerful when they were put
>in, but no one knew how they would be used or whether they were
>necessary.  In fact, two versions later, we still don't know those
>answers.

The people who've been using metaclasses since Python 1.5 (including e.g.,
the Zope developers) would probably disagree.  (Metaclasses got an upgrade
in capabilities due to type/class unification, plus a more convenient
syntax in 2.2, but they were around long before that.)

Similarly, there are plenty of "pyoneers" with use cases today for
decorators, and they know how they're being used today, and that an
improved syntax is necessary.

I'd point to the fact that there has been *very* little argument among
decorator proponents regarding the desired semantics, as an indication that
we *do* know what capabilities are necessary and/or desirable.

(By decorator proponents, I mean people who have developed and use their
own decorators, who have spoken in favor of having PEP 318 implemented for
2.4.  That is, people interested enough in the functionality to have used
the current syntax to get them.)