[Python-Dev] exit in __builtins__

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Thu Aug 26 14:38:35 CEST 2004

Andrew Durdin writes:
> But does this really belong in __builtins__? Wouldn't it be better for
> the interactive interpreter to register it as a global when it sets
> up, as it only makes sense in the context of the interactive
> interpreter?

It's a basic principle that the behavior of the interactive interpreter
and the behavior of Python run non-interactively should be as close
to the same as is possible. The requirement for blank lines after an
indented suite is unavoidable because you can't "look ahead" in
the interpreter. There are also the prompts. While I'm sure there are a
few others, we try to keep the differences minimal.

-- Michael Chermside