[Python-Dev] Re: list += string??

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 27 21:14:50 CEST 2004

damien morton wrote:
> Maybe this is the time to thow out the idea that strings arent
> sequences. Not backwards comaptable, but strings might grow a
> string.chars property that _is_ a sequence, but strings themselves arent
> sequences.

I very much doubt users will accept such a change - especially if the
rationale is that it is made to prevent a certain class of errors; the
change itself is likely to *introduce* new errors, both for changing
the existing code, and for the feature itself. We would need to come
up with a type for string.chars, and people would pass *that* around,
recreating the original problem.

I would hope that pychecker could diagnose this kind of problem in many
cases.

Regards,
Martin