[Python-Dev] Any reason why CPPFLAGS not used in compiling?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Dec 5 08:52:14 CET 2004

I noticed that Makefile.pre.in uses the value from the environment variable
LDFLAGS but not CPPFLAGS.  Any reason for this?  ``./configure -h`` lists both
(and some other environment variables which are not really used either) so it
seems a little misleading to have those listed but to not utilize them.

The reason I ask is I plan on having setup.py add the directories specified in
both of these environment variables for compiling the extension modules.  It
would be nice to be able to use the same values as used by the Makefile to
build the core, but I can if I must just get the values directly from the
environment variables themselves.

This should allow for the removal of the direct support for Fink and
DarwinPorts.  It should also remove any hand-editing needed to get setup.py to
pick up any non-standard library and header locations.

-Brett