[Python-Dev] Any reason why CPPFLAGS not used in compiling?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Dec 6 21:32:02 CET 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Brett C. wrote:
>
>> I noticed that Makefile.pre.in uses the value from the environment
>> variable LDFLAGS but not CPPFLAGS.  Any reason for this?
>

> How did you notice that? For LDFLAGS, Makefile.pre.in has
>
> LDFLAGS=        @LDFLAGS@
>
> This does *not* mean that the value from the environment is used.
> Instead, it means that configure computes the value of LDFLAGS
> when it generates Makefile.in. For CPPFLAGS, configure has nothing
> to compute, so Makefile.pre.in just has the static value for
> CPPFLAGS.

I am not so sure that is true.  Checking configure.in, there is no mention of
CPPFLAGS anywhere.  And yet if I modify the definition of CPPFLAGS in
Makefile.pre.in to ``-I. -I./Include @CPPFLAGS@`` it ends up containing the
value I have for the environment variable at the end of it.  I think the '@@'
syntax uses a value from configure.in if it is defined else it defaults to the
value the shell has.

-Brett