[Python-Dev] Any reason why CPPFLAGS not used in compiling?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Dec 7 01:52:08 CET 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Brett C. wrote:
>
>>> How did you notice that? For LDFLAGS, Makefile.pre.in has
>>>
>>> LDFLAGS=        @LDFLAGS@
>>>
>>> This does *not* mean that the value from the environment is used.
>>> Instead, it means that configure computes the value of LDFLAGS
>>> when it generates Makefile.in. For CPPFLAGS, configure has nothing
>>> to compute, so Makefile.pre.in just has the static value for
>>> CPPFLAGS.
>>>

>> I am not so sure that is true.  Checking configure.in, there is no
>> mention of CPPFLAGS anywhere.
>

> Right. That's what I meant when I said "has nothing to compute", so
> it does not even mention CPPFLAGS.
>
>> And yet if I modify the definition of CPPFLAGS in Makefile.pre.in to
>> ``-I. -I./Include @CPPFLAGS@`` it ends up containing the value I have
>> for the environment variable at the end of it.  I think the '@@'
>> syntax uses a value from configure.in if it is defined else it
>> defaults to the value the shell has.
>

> Indeed, that seems to be the case. However, absence of @CPPFLAGS@
> means that Makefile.pre will just use the static value from
> Makefile.pre.in.

That's basically the functionality I need, so I am going with it.

> Whether or not adding @CPPFLAGS@ to the end is the right thing,
> I don't know.

Well, we will soon find out.  =)  My checkin made this change and everything
seems fine.  If it doesn't work out I will have to create another environment
variable to store the value.

Michael's desire of getting the Fink and DarwinPorts special casing in setup.py
is now solved; setup.py now uses the directories specified in LDFLAGS and
CPPFLAGS for compiling the extension modules.  I didn't bother with CFLAGS or
CC since the former is mostly handled by BASECFLAGS it seems and the latter is
specified by arguments to configure.

-Brett