[Python-Dev] Rewriting PEP4

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Dec 7 15:47:37 CET 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 04:46 am, Nick Coghlan wrote:
 > One other question occurred to me for "deprecate X in favour of Y"
 > situations - should the deprecation warning added to X point developers
 > towards Y?

Not sure about the warning, but the documentation certainly should.  When the
mapping from the old module to the new is not obvious and trivial, sufficient
information should be included in the documentation for the old module to
make it fairly easy to perform the conversion.  (Placing this in the docs for
the old module ensures that it goes away when the documentation for the old
module goes away, and the docs for the new module need never be loaded with
information about the old module.)

 > Also, should the PEP include example wordings for deprecation warnings,
 > rather than being completely freeform? Martin listed some information that
 > should be included, but it seems an example or two would make it easy to
 > get right.

Examples would be good, though specific wording should not be proscribed.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>