[Python-Dev] Re: Rewriting PEP4

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 8 02:41:45 CET 2004

""Martin v. Löwis"" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote in message
news:41B556FE.20504 at v.loewis.de...

As a (currently) casual user of Python, this is my view of the standard
library dilemma and its solution:

1. It is too small: I may someday want to use a module not yet added.

2. It is too big: I cannot keep everything in mind at once and cannot
remember, without referring back to the lib manual or pydev, which modules
are currently or slated to become deprecated.

3. I do not wish to have other people's code broken,or books made obsolete,
without sufficient reason (ie, the code is actively dangerous versus merely
broken or superceded).

My preferred solution is to apply the 'out of sight, out of mind'
principle.

1. Move obsolete modules to a separate directory (lib_old sounds fine) and
put that directory in pythonpath.

When I ran Python (1.3) from a 20 meg disk, I would have preferred complete
removal, but with 60+ gigs, the small extra space is no longer an issue.
If  someone needs the space or wants to guarantee non-use of old modules,
deleting lib_old is easy enough.

2. Remove the docs for obsolete modules from the main part of the current
lib reference.  Sub-choices for legacy chapters are either complete removal
or segregation into a separate document or apppendix to current one.

Terry J. Reedy