[Python-Dev] 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Oleg Broytmann phd at mail2.phd.pp.ru
Thu Dec 9 11:17:02 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:30:02PM -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> As I explained later in that message, "native" simply means, "has an .exe
> extension on Windows".

   And very soon that strategy will backfire - people will start PRing
"but those .exe's are nothing more than a python interpreter in
disguise" which in my opnion is even worse.

> All of the discussion about *actually* improving Python's performance is
> moot for PR purposes.

   Hence we must stop spending our very valuable time thinking about PR
and return to actually improving Python (not only performance).

> If the goal is
> to achieve a PR win, the important thing is to pick a meme that's capable
> of succeeding, and stay "on message" with it.

   Translating to a plain langauge: "PSF should spend money spreading
around a counter-PR". I am afraid PSF doesn't have enough money, and
even if it has - should we really run down that path?

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru