[Python-Dev] 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 9 16:30:10 CET 2004

At 01:17 PM 12/9/04 +0300, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:30:02PM -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > As I explained later in that message, "native" simply means, "has an .exe
> > extension on Windows".
>
>    And very soon that strategy will backfire - people will start PRing
>"but those .exe's are nothing more than a python interpreter in
>disguise" which in my opnion is even worse.

ISTR that for a long time, Visual Basic actually did the same thing.  A few
magazines mentioned the fact, but nobody really cared.  However, if this is
really a concern, bundle Pyrex as well.  Both Pyrex and py2exe are
distutils-based, so at that point you have a complete solution, including
the "C" meme as well as the ".exe" meme.

> > If the goal is
> > to achieve a PR win, the important thing is to pick a meme that's capable
> > of succeeding, and stay "on message" with it.
>
>    Translating to a plain langauge: "PSF should spend money spreading
>around a counter-PR". I am afraid PSF doesn't have enough money, and
>even if it has - should we really run down that path?

I'm not suggesting spending any money.  Heck, I'm not suggesting *doing*
anything.  I just answered Guido's question about PR.  Whether anybody
wants to *do* anything about it is an entirely separate issue from
discussing *what* would need to be done, if something was going to be done.