[Python-Dev] 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Dec 10 10:41:28 CET 2004

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 03:32:10PM +1300, Andrew McGregor wrote:
> The other thing we can do is finish the portable backend for psyco and
> make it a standard module.  Then Python won't be slow, it will be
> compiled, and py2exe will be able to make a single-file executable.

You probably mean that Psyco can dynamically compile Python bytecodes even if
they have been hidden into an .exe file by py2exe.  At first reading, it
appears that you are propagating the misconception "compiler == speed == .exe"
i.e. Psyco could "compile your program into an .exe file".  As far as I see,
this is definitely not possible.

Of course, for PR purposes the difference is small -- an .exe file that runs
at compiled speed, or at least machine-level VM speed -- but advertising
should work around and not build on top of existing confusion IMHO.

A bientot,

Armin