[Python-Dev] Re: Re: 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Dec 13 02:36:45 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 12:32, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

> For those who believe that a non-profit project should not do any
> marketing, a reminder. If the perception about Python is one of a slow
> language, it's much more difficult to find places where you can use
> Python. In the long run, many of us may be forced to work with other
> languages & tools, just because that's where the money is. I
> personally take it a matter of personal interest, because I know how
> hard it is to "sell" Python to companies here in Brazil.

Actually, there's another problem in the corporate world that has
nothing to do with Python's performance (at least not directly).  When a
manager has to hire 25 programmers for a project they think to
themselves, "well, Java programmers are a dime a dozen so I'll have no
problem finding warm bodies if we write it in Java.  Can I even /find/
25 Python programmers?"

-Barry