[Python-Dev] MinGW And The other Py2.4 issue

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 15 01:08:03 CET 2004

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
>> it is ok to assume that a cygwin installation is in c:\cygwin.
>

> I think we should aim to support MSYS as well as Cygwin, but perhaps
> not for the first version where this goes in.

Not at all. I'm talking about the release process, and prerequisites
required in that process. This is worth mentioning because the list
of prerequisites you need to perform a Python release is already quite
long:
- CVS
- putty (for CVS)
- VC7.1
- current, built versions of all libraries (zlib, bzip2, tcl/tk,
   bsddb, ...)
- Perl (needed to build OpenSSL)
- HTML help workshop
- (the platform SDK)(to build Itanium binaries, if desired)
Now, I would be willing to add Cygwin on top of that - whether the
build process also works with MSYS does not matter to me; I would
not like a build process that *required* MSYS as a matter of
preference.

> OTOH, is it really necessary to have either MSYS or Cygwin? MinGW32
> works standalone - distutils should be able to just invoke it.

I'm not talking about distutils, here.

Regards,
Martin