[Python-Dev] release23-maint is reopened for business.

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 10:47:35 EST 2004

[Anthony Baxter]
> The release23-maint branch (for bugfixes on the 2.3 train of
> code) is now open for your bugfixing pleasure.

Yay!

> My next (planned) release off that branch will be May-June,
> assuming Tim doesn't create^H^H^H^H^H "find" any more critical
> bugs before then.
>
> (Oh sure, he'll claim that the bugs were there already...)

Alas, Jim Fulton already did:  in typeobject.c's reduce_2(), if the object
doesn't have __getstate__ but does have __dict__, the AttributeError from
failing to find __getstate__ isn't cleared, so ceval ends up with a pending
exception set after a call that returns normally.  That's Bad (an utterly
mysterious AttributeError gets raised after some later opcode notices the
pending exception).  That bug is in all flavors of 2.3, and on the head --
alas, there's no sane workaround for something like this.