[Python-Dev] building python with profiling support

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 7 14:25:39 EST 2004

I've used gprof to profile the interpreter in the past, but I'm stuck
trying to it again on my current machine.  I configured Python by saying
    CC="gcc -pg" ../configure

That's the way I've built Python for profiling in the past and that's
what the README says to do.  The python binary that gets generated
doesn't generate a gmon.out file.

It appears that the problem is with the command used to generate the
actual Python executable:

c++ -pthread  -Xlinker -export-dynamic -o python \
                Modules/python.o \
                libpython2.4.a -lpthread -ldl  -lutil   -lm

The -pg flag has been lost.

Can anyone suggest a recipe that will work?  Or suggest how to modify
the Makefile so that the -pg flag gets passed along.

Jeremy