[Python-Dev] Re: Allowing non-ASCII identifiers

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Feb 9 13:55:48 EST 2004

"François Pinard" <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message
news:20040209162704.GB7467 at titan.progiciels-bpi.ca...

>There are two matters here.  One is the technical portability, the other
>is more related to human issues.

I think there are two human issues: language and alphabet (character set)
used to transcribe the language.

>fear that people would not only comment in German (I'm using German
>as an example, of course), or use German strings, but also choose
>identifiers based on German words instead of English words, making
>programs less easy to read by English people,

This, of course, can be and is being done now as long as one drops euro
accents (I know, eleve is probably ugly to you) or transliterates other
alphabets to the English subset of latin chars.  For instance, if I
remember correctly, part of the Python scripting for Blade of Darkness was
done by Spanish-speaking programmers using Spanish identifiers and
comments.  There have also been snippets posted on c.l.p with German and
other Euro languange words.  But I can potentially read, understand, and
even edit such code.

For another example, if I read

for wa in konichi:
   konichi[wa] = <something>

I can recognize that the two occurences each of 'konichi' and 'wa' are the
same, and that konichi is dict-like, even if I do not know their English
meanings (assuming they are not gibberish).  But if they were in Japanese
chars, for instance, matching names to names would be *much* harder.

Having at various times more or less learned, and partly forgotten, how to
at least phonetically read words in Cyrillic, Greek, and Devanagari
(Sanskrit) characters, I can appreciate that learning Latin chars must also
be a chore to those who learned something else as children.  But I also
know that I do not necessarily wish to learn a dozen more sets, nor would I
wish such on everyone else.

Having said this against the proposal, I suspect that a Unicode-identifier
version of Python, official or not, is inevitable, especially if, as and
when Python spreads beyond the internationalized elite of each country.  If
so, I would like to see such at least accompanied by transliteration
programs (preferably two-way) using the most accepted transliteration
scheme for each alphabet.

Terry J. Reedy