[Python-Dev] zapped several unsupported bits - now would be a good time to test

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 10 14:10:29 EST 2004

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Yes, for what that's worth.  I'm not aware of any code specifically in
> aid of libc5, though...

No. Instead, we would actively have to add some...

>>By PEP 11 rules, this would become "unsupported" in Python 2.4, with
>>the possibility of revival if a volunteer steps forward.
>

> ... so basically this amounts to saying "if you have a problem with
> python on a libc5 system you'd better have a patch too".

and we would change configure to detect libc5 systems, and refuse
to build on such systems (with an exit statement in configure).
Users still wanting to build on libc5 could hack around this and
remove the exit statement, or they would volunteer to take over
Python-on-libc5 maintainership.

Regards,
Martin