[Python-Dev] Re: Are we collecting benchmark results across machines

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Wed Feb 11 00:43:21 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 12:59:08PM -0500, Brad Clements wrote:

> Python 2.3.2 (#49)  pystone test on my Win2k SP4 machine.
>
> Note this is a  1.6 ghz Pentium M (Centrino)
>
> Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 1.3762
> This machine benchmarks at 36331.9 pystones/second
>
> Faster than Anthony's 3Ghz P4.
>
> I believe this processor has a very large on-board cache.. I'm not sure how large. It's a
> Dell Lattitude D800.
>
> My point being, I think pystone performance is greatly effected by CPU cache, more so
> than CPU clock speed.

yes, the pentium M is intel's fastest CPU though they don't like to admit
it lest people stop buying P4s.  current models have a 1mb L2 cache and
an well optimized p3-derived core.

cpu cache size will have an effect on any benchmark.  if one python
implementation outperforms another because of a better cache foot print
thats good thing.  cache architecture will only become more important
as time goes on.