[Python-Dev] Optimization of the Year

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Feb 11 13:12:21 EST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> They are (unfortunately) still incomplete,
>>and it is doubtful whether I can complete them before PyCon.
>

> Maybe it can be a sprint topic?

Sure! I can release what I have at the time. The risky part
is that these are *many* changes, with the danger of introducing
subtle bugs, so a review of the changes would be definitely
helpful.

>>This is the tricky part that I want to defer in the first round
>>of patches: I believe ob_size should be a signed type, so it should
>>be ssize_t where available. The tricky part is finding an appropriate
>>type on systems where ssize_t is not available.
>

> Why not simply use Py_intptr_t then?

Conceptually, it is a different thing, because sizeof(void*) and
sizeof(size_t) may differ on some platform. For practical purposes,
they propably won't differ on any platform supported by Python.

Regards,
Martin