[Python-Dev] Weekly Python Bug/Patch Summary

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Feb 19 14:43:46 EST 2004

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> writes:

>> (I certainly wasn't proposing this change for release23-maint).
>
> We (Python) never promised anything about NaN behavior, so I don't really
> care if the "currently working" (by perverse accident) NaN==NaN result
> changes under MSVC 6.

I do: I don't think we should change much behaviour short of
segfaulting.  But I'm at the conservative end of this spectrum[1]; if
someone else wants to backport it, I won't howl.

>>> 754 really isn't friendly to half-assed support.
>
>> Indeed.  But I think were the underlying compiler implements C99
>> semantics, it's unfriendly of Python to hide them.
>
> That gets more involved; e.g., float operations should never raise
> exceptions then, not even division by 0 (although real 754 support includes
> ways to control whether exceptions get raised).

I meant in the context of comparisons.

> I'm +1 on applying the patch for 2.4 regardless.

Done!

Cheers,
mwh

[1] Possibly because I have more sympathy for the patch monkey than
    most, having worn that particular hat for a time :-)

--
  ARTHUR:  But which is probably incapable of drinking the coffee.